Write a review
- 2 1/4 pounds fresh apricots
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 cups sugar
- Zest from one lemon
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 vanilla pod
- Cut the apricots in half and extract the pits. Roughly chop and add the water. Cover the pot and cook, stirring frequently, until the apricots are tender and cooked through.
- Add the sugar, lemon zest, and vanilla pod to the apricots and cook, uncovered, skimming off any foam that rises to the surface. As the mixture thickens and reduces, stir frequently to make sure the jam isn’t burning on the bottom.
- Cook until jam reaches 220ºF or until the cold plate method results in the right texture.
- Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice. Ladle the jam into sterilized jars.
- Process according to the USDA instructions for canning. (http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/publications_usda.html)
- Let cool to room temperature.
Homecooking the books http://homecookingthebooks.com/